Atlus busted out a double-whammy announcement this morning with the reveal of not one, but two Utawarerumono games for the west. AQUAPLUS’ visual novel/SRPG Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception is set to arrive on PS4 and PS Vita this spring, followed by its direct sequel, Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth, this fall.
Both versions of the games will launch in the Americas physically and digitally. Europe will get a physical release for the PS4 versions, but they will be digital-only on PS Vita in the region.
Here’s a quick rundown on Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception:
- An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
- An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
- Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
- Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
- Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.