For the second week, we got two “Marvel’s Agent Carter” episodes in a row with “The Edge of Mystery” and “A Little Song and Dance” airing back to back. With Peggy Carter and her team of friends and uneasy alliances racing against the clock to stop Whitney Frost and Jason Wilkes from opening another portal with Zero Matter, the loyalty and character of all were tested.
Jarvis, in particular, showed us a side of him we’ve never seen before, and his friendship with Peggy almost came to blows in his quest of vengeance for Ana. Jack Thompson, meanwhile, continued to play everyone, and it’s not clear whether he’s a friend or enemy–but he’s definitely not to be trusted. There’s also still that little matter of Daniel Sousa still being completely in love with Peggy. And in case that wasn’t enough, we got a musical number, too–who knew Sousa had such a pair of pipes on him?
It was a lot to process. To catch you up for tomorrow’s season finale, here are the 21 best quotes from last week’s “Marvel’s Agent Carter”!
1. “Lift the chorus, speed it onward, loud her praises tell, hail to thee our Alma Mater! Hail, all hail, Cornell!” [singing drunkenly] – Jack Thompson, pretending to be drunk and pulling a fast one on his London connection in order to gather dirt on Peggy Carter. Also, who knew Jack Thompson was Ivy League material?
2. “I will protect you to my dying day.” – Jarvis, making another promise Ana knows he can’t keep.
3. “You’re perfect.” – Jarvis to Ana in the hospital, breaking our hearts and giving us all the feels.
4. “You don’t need to cut corners to get ahead. You’re better than that.” – Peggy Carter to Jack Thompson, simultaneously making an appeal to his better nature and making him feel about two inches tall.
5. Whitney Frost: “What do you think of my research?” Jason Wilkes: “I think you’re a mass murderer of rats.” – Well…he’s not wrong.
6. “ Jack, what’s happened and what’s true are two different things.” – Vernon Masters, giving Jack Thompson a lesson on what it’s really like to play politics at a high level.
7. “Samberly, one day I’m going to kill you.” – Daniel Sousa, who has about reached the end of his rope with his chief inventor, but at least he’s hilarious about it.
8. Whitney Frost: “Ah, such a pity. That two accomplished women should be standing on opposite sides.” Peggy Carter: “Yes, you’re such a staunch defender of the womanhood. I can tell by the way you shot an unarmed, innocent woman.” – In the battle of trading barbs, that’s Peggy Carter – 1, Whitney Frost – 0.
9. Daniel Sousa: [to Peggy] “So if the situation was reversed, that’s what you would’ve done? Let him shoot me?” Jack Thompson: “If it makes a difference…I’d have let him blow you both away.” – Jack ending a potential lover’s spat with what might have been the quote of the episode.
10. “Who does Peggy have? Only you.” – Ana Jarvis urging her husband to leave her bedside and help Peggy, reminding us why she’s wonderful.
11. “I want her to pay for what she did to us.” –Jarvis, showing a ruthlessness that we never before suspected.
12. Jack Thompson: “You trust me?” Daniel Sousa: “Not at all.” Jack Thompson: “Good enough.” – Jack and Daniel, showing us they’ll pretty much never be besties.
13. “DO AS PEGGY SAYS!” [in unison]– Daniel and Jack finally embracing the life philosophy they should have been living by for two seasons now.
14. “What about me?!” – Whitney Frost watching her plans go completely awry as Jason Wilkes got sucked into the portal and not her–and also sounding crazier than she’s ever been.
15. “’We walk?’ ‘We walk?’ This is your grand plan? Throw me from a moving vehicle only to kill me in an inferno?! What a magnificent idea! What skill! What grace under fire! You’ve really proven your worth to God and county this time, Agent Carter!” – Jarvis, losing his mind a little bit in the aftermath.
16. Peggy Carter: “Leaving Dottie with Whitney Frost would’ve been tantamount to murderer and unlike you, I’m not a murderer, Mr. Jarvis!” Jarvis: “And yet everyone around you dies. I’m sorry, I…I know I shouldn’t have said that.” – Peggy and Jarvis showing that the people who love you most can hurt you the worst as their friendship is stretched to its breaking point.
17. Peggy: “You have begged me to bring you on my adventures since I arrived in Los Angeles, and that’s what they are to you–larks, an enjoyable way to spend the evening. And then you go home to another man’s mansion, listening to your radio shows, blissful in your self-imposed ignorance. And when there is a consequence–a horrid ugly consequence–you blame me for the choices that you have made. Yes, Mr. Jarvis, there is a cost–one that I have paid for a hundred times over. Your–your wife will survive. You can go on in your life knowing nothing of loss. Lucky you.” – Peggy to Jarvis…their friendship leveled up this episode in some very brutal ways.
18. “Ah, Agent Carter. You are one resilient—“ –Vernon Masters, just before Peggy cold-cocked him and knocked him to the ground.
19. “Our job is keeping people safe. If that means using Vernon to take down a lady who kills people with black space goop, that’s what’s gonna happen.” – Daniel Sousa, reminding Peggy of their fundamental duty as SSR agents.
20. “That wasn’t Zero Matter. That was me.” – Jason Wilkes to Peggy, showing her once again that her idealism blinds her.
21. “I’m doing what needs to be done.” – Jack Thompson, because what needed to be done was apparently blowing up Wilkes, Whitney Frost, and Vernon Masters.
Don’t miss the Season 2 finale of “Marvel’s Agent Carter” Tuesday at 9:00 PM ET on ABC!